Breast Reconstruction Surgery – What to Expect After Your Procedure in Sarasota, FL
Breast reconstruction is elected by some women who undergo surgery for the treatment or prevention of breast cancer. Reconstructive breast procedures are designed to recreate the size, shape, and appearance of a breast. Over the years, many women in the Sarasota, Florida, area have entrusted their post-mastectomy care to Dr. Alissa M. Shulman, a board-certified plastic surgeon and lifelong artist who founded Sovereign Plastic Surgery in 2009.
Depending on your preferences, Dr. Shulman can perform breast reconstruction during or soon after your mastectomy or lumpectomy procedure, or several months or years later. There is no set schedule. That’s because it is impossible to predict exactly how you will feel after surgery, and even if you could, your feelings may change over time. Your decision on whether to have breast reconstruction surgery is highly personal and involves both physical and emotional considerations. Ultimately, Dr. Shulman encourages each woman to choose what is right for her.
If you decide to proceed with breast reconstruction surgery, Dr. Shulman will provide personalized guidance on how to best prepare. In general, beginning 10 days in advance of your surgery date, you’ll need to stop taking all forms of phentermine, vitamin E, fish oil, naproxen (Aleve®), and ibuprofen (Motrin®). You should have all of your prescriptions filled so that they are ready for when you return home. Because you will be receiving anesthesia for your procedure, you should not have anything to eat or drink after midnight on the night before.
Dr. Shulman will also provide detailed instructions on what to do after your breast reconstruction surgery, including the following general guidelines:
- Drink plenty of water but avoid using straws, which can cause nausea
- Begin taking any prescribed antibiotics on the morning after your breast reconstruction surgery
- Do not take any medication on an empty stomach; try to eat six small meals a day
- Keep your surgical dressings dry and intact; Dr. Shulman will check them during your follow-up appointment
- Sleep on an incline during the week after your procedure
- Instead of showering or soaking in a tub, take sponge baths until your surgical drains are removed
- Do not drive a car, push or pull objects, lift more than 10 pounds, or perform strenuous exercise until you receive clearance from Dr. Shulman
If you have questions or concerns at any time, do not hesitate to call Dr. Shulman, who is always available to her breast reconstruction patients by phone. Also, because she lives nearby in Sarasota, FL, she is able to see patients quickly at her office, when necessary.
If you’d like to learn more about breast reconstruction, contact us to schedule an appointment with Dr. Shulman at Sovereign Plastic Surgery in Sarasota, FL.